August 6 – 8, 2015, Lowell, MA
171 Lincoln St, Lowell, MA 01852
Open at 7:30 a.m.!
“The Shocks, Brakes, and Mufflers of the Piano Business”
Including both theoretical and hands-on learning!
- Round Table Discussion – state of the industry historically, today, and the future. Express your thoughts, hear the thoughts of others, strengthen our message and simplify the delivery to our clients in order to help improve the state of the music business overall.
- Action Design Theory with Roy Mallory, engineer
- Evaluating and Documenting the Piano Action with Larry Buck
- Hands on in the shop – several work stations covering the key frame and keys (refelting, balance rail holes, diagnosing); repetitions (rebuilding for general use or performance); hammers (weighing, boring, tapering, tailing, and hanging)
- Suggestions for regulating
- Web SEO and Reaching Your Potential Clients with Frank Baxter, owner of the “Piano World” website—home of the world famous piano forums
- Listening to the piano – from the point of view of the sound board, how do we evaluate the piano we have? What is its potential? Our clients often ask our thoughts on improving the tone of their piano through voicing, hammer replacement, or potential restoration of its strings/pin block etc. This is not a course on sound board replacement or design, but rather on listening and evaluating the sound board we have. Please check this website regularly for updates on the progress of this topic.
- The Fredericks Piano Collection – Mike and Pat Fredericks have agreed to a tour and discussion of their very fine collection, followed by a performance on one of their historical pianos. This collection is a truly rare gem hidden away in the beautiful country setting of Ashburnham, MA.
Additional speakers include:
- Marc Wienert – Marc has agreed to talk about his experiences in piano prep for such well known projects as the Zemph Studios, NC, Abbey Road Studios, London and his career at Manhattan School of Music. Marc was featured in the book, “Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey” by Perri Knize (2009).
- Dan Powers – retired prototype machinist for M/A-COM Technology Solutions, Dan has designed a number of imaginative jigs for piano work which improve time and accuracy and has agreed to discuss his approach.
- University Inn and Suites – right here in scenic Lowell for $89/night. Call 978-934-6920 to reserve a room.